Another recipe where I searched the food network app and Pinterest for ideas to use more cherry tomatoes! I came across Portuguese Rice, I thought something Andy would like. Though, I don’t think I would make it again LOL. But here is how it came together, in case you want to give it a go!
What you need:
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1-2 cups cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 2 cups rice
- 3 ¾ cup stock
- 2-3 bay leaves
- salt & pepper
- red chili flakes
- Heat oil in a large sauce pan.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add chopped onion and cook until softened.
- Add tomatoes, salt, pepper and red chili flakes. Stir until combined. Cover the pan and continue to until the tomatoes get soft and mushy (about 5 minutes).
- Add 2 cups of rice (more if you like dryer rice). Mix all together until rice is coated with the tomato juice in the pan.
- Pour the stock (I have pork stock on hand) and stir. Add the bay leaves and cover with a lid again.
- Bring to a boil, then sprinkle parsley. Cover, turn down heat and continue to simmer. Keep stirring occasionally to make sure the rice doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the rice has cooked completely. Taste and add more seasoning if needed.
I served this with some oven baked chicken. Overall I thought it was pretty delicious. But it wasn’t Andy’s favorite and I prefer pasta, so I probably won’t make it again LOL.
Have you tried a similar rice dish or recommend another recipe for us to try? Share you experience below!
Live to Eat,